Monday, April 4, 2011

The week ahead....

Today the work has begun in earnest....
Before you can put in a looong week's work you need to fuel up with a good Desayuno ;) Typical breakfast at Hospedaje Cayetano? Start with some fine peruvian coffee, some freshly made pineapple juice (delicisouness made by Rosa!), some brightly colored hard boiled eggs from Peruvian Godornises (aka quails - or 6 quail eggs to be exact) w/Peruvian chili, and some other yummy delights to energize the day.  I do like to "macro-phage" ;-)

 After breakfast, it was off to Cayetano! Another quick trip on the plush Metropolitano and I was putting the final touches on all the required approvals and paperwork to get the study finalized so I can complete it without any issues.  TONS of beauracracy....ethics committee at the national institute of health, ethics committee at the unversity which is different from the ethics committee at the hospital and they don't collaborate eventhough they are on the same block and pretty much on the same compound....and both have separate offices that receive and process the paperwork before it gets to the ethics committee and once it's approved so I can actually receive the proper stamps and signatures.  However, everyone has literally moved heaven and earth to expedite the approval process.  It took me 3 months to get my protocol through the process and approved at the university from Connecticut.  Since my arrival, I've been able to accomplish in three days what usually takes three weeks.  It's actually been an amazing experience and I'm still blown away at how supportive everyone is of the study and my efforts to make it happen. Everyone I've worked with has also expressed tons of interest in the results.  It's extra incentive to make it the best study possible within my prescribed time limits and resources. Tomorrow is the day....I get to walk by the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia sign everyday when I get off the Metropolitano to walk the last few blocks to the hospital.  I'm looking forward to seeing that sign every morning for the next few weeks.

UPCH - guarding the route from the Metropolitano to the Hospital


 One of the absolute highlights of the trip has been working with Calidad en Salud - a USAID health quality program in Peru.  They have been incredibly helpful and supportive in being proactive to get through all the required processes to get the final approval at each study site in the region of Cuzco within the Peruvian Andes.  I have all the main approvals out of the way but now each ethics committe or office of investigation needs to give their stamp of approval before I can begin.  It would be 100x more difficult without their help.  They are also helping me meet the right people to give me the best perspective on peruvian maternal-fetal healthcare and to support my efforts in completing the study.  

The most interesting thing coming up are the Peruvian General Elections - Sunday, April 10th.  Everyone in Peru has to vote, it's required by law.  If you don't vote, you get fined!!! How crazy but awesome is that!? Can you imagine if they did that in the U.S.?! Not that it would every fly with U.S. voters but what about incentives if you vote?? hmmmm, taxbreaks or 30% off at Walmart? Interesting to think about.....with so many people out exercising their right to vote, word on the street is that it's almost like a festival....everyone is out, there are food vendors, people hanging out, some post election parties going on, etc...it's going to be an interesting event....
check out this newsite on a Peruvian woman living in Miami who is going to vote to avoid a 'fine' -

to cap it  off, I'm doing my final travel arrangements to arrive in Cuzco...I'm going to arrive withing the Semana Santa or Easter Week...which is religous procession and celebration season in Cuzco...I was thinking about traveling somewhere else but I think this is the season to be in Cuzco and a once in a life-time opportunity to have a unique cultural experience while getting to know the people and experience the culture in a new and vibrant setting.

check out the link:

Lot's going on this week....but I'm looking forward to it.
Whoop!



No comments:

Post a Comment