Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Arequipa - Andean Condors - Approval Process

Road-side vendor on the way to el Cañón de Colca from Arequipa

 I arrived in Cusco just before the start of a long weekend for Semana Santa, I knew it was going to delay the final approval of my project, so I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and travel to Arequipa.  It was such a culturally rich trip with so many experiences I couldn't possibly cover it all without writing a book...
So, I'll write some blurbs about what I think are the most important parts and throw in some pics - click on the links for more info :)

Plaza de Armas - Arequipa


Arequipa - known as "la ciudad blanca" or the "white city" - for the white volcanic stone that was used throughout the city's cathedrals and spanish colonial buildings.  The city is GORGEOUS! A great example of spanish colonial city planning while maintaining a lot of it's native history.  There are 1,500 year old terraces that pre-date the Incan Empire throughout the river valley and the outer districts of the city that have been preserved and designated as world heritage sites.

El volcán Misti overlooking Arequipa



Overwatched by three impressive snow-topped volcanoes (El Misti, Chachani & Picchu Picchu), Arequipa sits at 7,000ft above sea-level on the banks of the river Chili (quechua for "cold")...during my stay during Holy Week I was able to observe native arequipeños participate in the "stations of the cross" which they observe by visiting each of Arequipa's 14 churches to pray - the streets are filled with people, vendors, activities throughout the night and there are certain secluded churches only open on this day for the general public (such as the Santa Catalina Monastery)


Vibrant Colors of Santa Catalina


Top of Misti peaking over the Cathedral of Arequipa
Cathedral at night - Plaza de Armas - Arequipa


I also saw a religious process for La Neustra Señora de las Angustias   (aka Our Lady of Anguish)
- It is a representation of the virgin mary that is worshiped in Arequipa
- policemen, firemen, and the military were all involved in the procession along with the sect of followers

La Sra. de las Angustias procession through Arequipa

 Watch a portion of the procession at the video link below:




I also had the opportunity to visit the Cañón de Colca to see the majestic Andean Condor and enjoy the natural beauty of the canyon.  I absolutely loved the Canyon de Colca, the natural beauty was overhwhelming and I would love to return for an extended hike into the valley.  On this trip, we focused on visiting the local villages as well as visiting the Mirador del Condor to see the Andean Condor fly through the Canyon.  We also spent some time in the outdoor mineral hot springs that were intially built by the Incas - the aqueducts funneling the heated water from the bowels of the mountains are still functioning and in use for the current version of the hot springs :)


Casa de mi Abuela - Colca Canyon

Chivay - entryway to Colca Canyon

Cañón de Colca - "worlds deepest canyon"

Condor doing a "fly-by" about 30 feet overhead

Condor winging it in the Canyon
















Pool #5 - La Caldera - Hot Springs outside of Chivay

It was an AMAZING trip! I absolutely love Arequipa for the yummy food, the natural beauty, the unique peruvian culture and the city.  I highly, highly recommend a trip if you are ever in Peru - if you do go, Casa de Mi Abuela is the place to stay in both Arequipa & Cañón de Colca


Queso Helado = Traditional Arequipeño Vanilla Ice Cream


Chupe de Camaron - traditional Arequipeño dish


I am glad it was such a good trip because on my return I've been furiously trying to network and work the system to expedite the approval process for my project.  The fact that I already have approval on the national level and that I completed a portion of my project at a national hospital didn't seem to help all that much.  I am currently in week three of the approval process and still have not received the green light to start in Cusco.  I'm hoping to be able to get it going by this Friday.  A little bit frustrating as I was told the process would take 1 1/2 weeks - 2 weeks tops since I already had approval at the national level but it's all part of the experience.  When things get too frustrating I go to my happy place...hanging out with the baby alpaca on the way to Cañón del Colca at 15,000ft above sea level ;-)

Hanging out with a baby Alpaca

More to follow on the project and life in Cusco as I start settling in...


Whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment