Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cusco Day#1

Today I landed in Cusco and met up with an old friend from my last visit - a year and a half ago.  Boris was the guide on my Inca Trail trek and we became fast friends.  He helped me find a GREAT apartment and settle in.  Great dude!  The apartment is a furnished two bedroom, two bath, with wi-fi internet and all utilities included for the same price that I pay in New Haven for half of a two bedroom one bath without utilities or internet.  This place is much nicer as well....Cusco rocks.

I went exploring and my lungs could definitely feel every inch of the 10,000 ft above sea level.  The apartment is about a 20 min - 30 min walk downtown and a 15 min walk to the Regional Hospital.  Once I got to the city center, it all came back to me and it felt like I never left, eventhough I was huffing and puffing a little more than I remember ;)

Tomorrow I start in earnest by meeting with the Regional Health Director in Cusco for Obstetrics and Gynecology as well as the office of investigation at the Regional Hospital in order to get my study going for next week.  I also hope to meet a contact that can help me with heading out to the local health centers in the Andes within the region of Cusco.  All that and I still need to pack for my Semana Santa holiday / early birthday present for myself trip.  

This week is La Semana Santa - "Holy Week" or Easter Week, which means HOLIDAY!!! Most peopel will be taking the week off and, from what I understand, it's an important holiday over here so there will be minimal staffing whenever possible.   I'm taking advantage of tomorrow to make sure the approval process is in gear, so I can start familiarizing at the hospital next Monday.  In the meantime, I've arranged a little get-away to Arequipa and the Cañón de Colca where I hope to come face-to-face with the mythical Andean Condor and with a wingspan over 10ft maybe I can ride him back to Cusco ;-)

Have you ever read the Alchemist? I thought of a line in that book today.....when you are doing what you are meant to do, the entire world conspires to help you.....that's how I felt today walking around in downtown Cusco as I headed back to my apartment and thought about preparing for tomorrow's activities and the month ahead....

Pictures from Day #1 in Cusco:

The new digs...
View from my bedroom ;)


The path to the Historical City Center

Headed towards Downtown Cusco - Historical Center



Guardian of the fork in the road = almost there!!!

Final path to the Plaza de Armas & Cathedral in the center of Cusco


Night fall in downtown Cusco

The old Incan Temple turned Church


I know, I know...no pics of the Cusco Cathedral or the Plaza de Armas...but I'm saving those! They deserve their own pictures and contemplation apart from anything else.  More to follow....

This morning I woke up in Lima at sea-level finishing up my first 20 days in Peru....
tonight I go to bed in Cusco at 10,000 ft starting my next 30 days in Peru......

I don't know what the next 30 days will bring but I'm ready to find out!

Whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment